6) Some boys are sitting in a row. P is sitting fourteenth from the left and Q is seventh from the right. If there are four boys between P and Q, how many boys are there in the row?
Number of boys in the row = number of boys uptil P + number of boys between P and Q + number of boys including Q and those behind Q = 14 + 4 + 7 = 25.
7) Vimal is 7 ranks ahead of Sathish in a class of 39. If Sathish’s rank is seventeenth from the last, what is Vimal’s rank from the start?
Sathish is 17th from the last and Vimal is 7 ranks ahead of Sathish. So, Vimal is 24th from the last.
Number of students ahead of Vimal in rank = (39 – 24) = 15.
So, Vimal is 16th from the start.
8) Malik is fourteenth from the right end in a row of 40 boys. What is his position from the left end?
Clearly, number of boys towards the left of Malik = (40 – 14) = 26.
So, Malik is 27th from the left end.
9) In a row of trees, one tree is fifth from either end of the row. How many trees are there in the row?
Clearly number of trees in the row = (4 + 1 + 4 ) = 9.
10) In a class of 35 students, Kamal is placed seventh from the bottom whereasa Sunil is placed ninth from the top. Manoj is placed exactly in between the two. What is Kamal’s position from Manoj?
Number of students between Kamal and Sunil = 35 – ( 7 + 9) = 19.
Clearly, there are 9 students between Kamal and Manoj, as well as Manoj and Sunil.
So Kamal is 10th from Manoj.