Friends, today we shall discuss some important rules of Articles.
Rule 1 : The indefinite article ‘A’ should be used before the word ‘Half’ when it follows a whole number.
- I stayed in Madras for one and half years. ☓
- I stayed in Madras for one and a half years. ✔
- He spent one and half a half rupee. ☓
- He spent one and a half rupees. ✔
Rule 2 : The definite article ‘THE’ should be used with a comparative adjective if the phrase ‘of the two’ is used.
- She is better of the two sisters. ☓
- She is the better of the two sisters. ✔
- This is the best of the two books. ☓
- This is the better of the two books. ✔
Rule 3 : With the names of meals such as Break fast / Lunch / Dinner / Supper, no article should be used in a general way except in particular causes.
- I have the breakfast at 8 hrs in the morning ☓
- I have breakfast at 8 hrs in the morning ✔
Rule 4 : The + Positive Adjective represent the whole class, and take a plural verb.
- The rich is responsible for the lawlessness in the country.☓
- The rich are responsible for the lawlessness in the country. ✔
Say ‘The poor are / The young are / The old are’ etc….
Rule 5 : After Di- Transitive Verbs like Elect / Make / Appoint, articles should not be used except when they are used as Mono transitive verbs.
- We appointed him a chairman.☓
- We appointed him chairman ✔
- We made him a leader ☓
- We made him leader. ✔
The Govt. has appointed a Committee (mono transitive)
(As a mono transitive verb)
Rule 6 : After type of / kind of / sort of / post of / title of / rank of / articles are not used.
- He is not that sort of a man. ☓
- He is not that soft of man. ✔
- He was promoted to the rank of a General manager. ☓
- He was promoted to the rank of General manager. ✔